Iron Horse Forestry Marketing and Management
174 Airport Road (28380)
P.O. Box 1267
Rockingham, N.C. 28380
Office 910 997-2248 ~ Fax 910 895-1530
Jon McBeth, Registered Forester
Invitation to Bid on Timber
Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 11:00 A.M.
Montgomery County, N.C.
+ / - 239.8 Total Acres
+/- (6” top) 7279 Tons Pine Sawtimber
+/- 9856 Tons Pine Chip-n-saw
+/- 29 Tons of Mixed Hardwood Sawtimber
+/- 37 Tons of White Oak
+/- 546 Tons of Yellow Popular
Pine +/- 3751 Tons
Hardwood +/- 2137 Tons
Hardwood Palletwood +/- 597 Tons
+ / - 203.7 Total Acres
+/- (6” top) 11656 Tons Pine Sawtimber
+/- 10220 Tons Pine Chip-n-saw
+/- 122 Tons of Mixed Hardwood Sawtimber
+/- 17 Tons of White Oak
+/- 115 Tons of Yellow Popular
Pine +/- 1995 Tons
Hardwood +/- 934 Tons
Hardwood Palletwood +/- 233 Tons
Block A is comprised mainly of 1986 plantation and has been thinned once. There are several stream management zones present.
Block B is comprised primarily of 1986 and 1988 plantation and has been thinned once. There is also an area of upland hardwood on the ridge and an area of mixed pine/hardwood along the main drain (S.M.Z).
The sale area has average logging conditions with good access. The property has frontage on Love Joy Rd (NCSR 1310) with an access trail. The best access is along the ridge road through adjacent property and permission has been secured.
The site is located approximately 7 miles North of Troy, N.C. (see location map). Boundary lines are marked in blue paint. Block A and Block B sale boundary is marked in fluorescent pink flagging and has been painted in fluorescent pink paint. Sale areas are a portion of the “Jordan Smitherman” tract conveyed in Deed Book 481 page 321 and further referenced at Plat slide “a 713” as recorded in the Montgomery County Register of Deeds. The combination to the gates is set to 2248.
Method of Sale
Individual bids will be accepted for BLOCK A and BLOCK B. Also, a total combined bid for BLOCK A and BLOCK B will be accepted. All the merchantable standing timber as shown on the attached timber sales map excepting trees within designated stream management zones is for sale. Only hardwood trees that are within S.M.Z’S that when severed will leave a stump equal to or greater than 17 inches in diameter and pine trees that when severed will leave a stump equal to or greater than 12 inches are offered.
Due to the Covid 19 pandemic the Iron Horse Auction Co. office is closed for the bid opening. In the event any buyers would like to witness the sealed bid opening, we can arrange for bid opening in the parking lot with masks and social distancing. The sale will be conducted on Thursday, October 8, 2020 at 11:00 A.M. at the Office of Iron Horse Auction Co., 174 Airport Rd, Rockingham, NC 28379; phone (910)-997-2248. Fax bids and phone bids will be accepted until 10:30 a.m. the morning of the bid opening at (910)-895-1530 (fax).
Neither the Seller nor the agent guarantees the inventoried volume data as it’s provided for general information to better describe the sale.
Conditions of Timber Sale
- All merchantable timber identified on the attached Timber Sales Map by horizontal hatching for BLOCK A, estimated at +/- 239.8 acres with SMZ exception. Separately all merchantable timber in the area with vertical hatching for BLOCK B estimated at 203.7 acres is for sale excepting the area designated as SMZ. The S.M.Z’s boundaries are identified with painted lines on ground. (see Sales Map)
- Stream management zones (S.M.Z.’S) have been identified on sales map with cross hatching and painted on the ground. Only hardwood that will leave a 17-inch stump or greater and pine that will leave a 12-inch stump or greater are offered for sale. These zones are minimum standards set by the Seller and do not guarantee Best Management Practice Compliance. Buyer is responsible for abiding by all Best Management Practices and Soil and Erosions laws as they pertain to removing the timber from this property.
- The successful bidder shall receive a twenty-four (24) month period from the execution of the timber deed to remove the forest products offered under the terms of this sale. A 12-month extension will be offered at the cost of 6% of the total accepted bid. A written request 30 days prior to original 24-month timber deed expiration will be required along with full payment.
- All decking, skidding, and loading shall be done within the designated timber sale areas. No decking, skidding or loading will be permitted in areas not designated in the timber sale area.
- New roads will be constructed within the designated sale areas in compliance with Best Management Practice guidelines. Approved access routes to the timber sale areas are shown on the attached Timber Sales Map. Alternative access routes must be approved by the agent. Upon completion of logging, the buyer will leave the access trails in a level condition without any ruts and in a condition equal to or better than prior to logging.
- No logging debris is to be left outside designated sale areas. Logging debris at decking areas is to be scattered throughout sale areas as to not leave any piles more than 36” in height from ground level.
- No marked line trees shall be cut, nor are they included in the timber sale. For the purpose of this sale, a boundary tree is valued at $200.00 per tree. The Buyer shall responsible for damage to corner markers and boundary trees.
- The Buyer of the timber will not be permitted to conduct direct firewood sales to the general public from the tract. Firewood removed from the site and sold elsewhere will be permitted.
- The Buyer of the timber shall indemnify and hold harmless the Seller from any and all liability and any and all loss, including attorney fees and other reasonable expenses incurred arising from the operations, activities, or omissions of the Buyer’s employees, contractors, subcontractors, and invitees, and whether such liability or losses be to an assign or licensee(s) of the buyer, or to any others for property damage, personal injury, death or otherwise. The Buyer must agree to maintain Workman’s Compensation Insurance on his agents and employees.
- The Buyer shall be solely and specifically responsible for abiding by all performance standards of the Best Management Practices and laws, such as N.C.G.S. 77-13 and 77-14, relating to timber harvesting, water quality, and stream sedimentation as they affect this property and further, that the Buyer shall be solely responsible for any violations of such regulations.
- The Buyer of the timber will be responsible for keeping his trash off the tract during logging operations, which includes maintaining a trash barrel on site. No oil or other hazardous fluids from logging equipment or vehicles will be permitted to be drained or permitted to leak on the tract. The Buyer is to use reasonable care in preventing wildfire due to his actions.
- In the event of wet weather, the sellers’ agent or agent’s assign has the right to halt harvesting activities that result in excessive rutting and before sub-soiling and site degradation occurs. The cutting period will be extended for an equal period that the agent halted harvesting operations.
- The Buyer is to notify the Seller’s agent or agent’s assign at least 24 hours prior to beginning logging and 24 hours prior to expected harvest completion.
- The successful bidder may be required to put up a performance deposit of $2,000.00 at the agent’s discretion. The amount of this deposit is not intended to limit what the agent may determine to be the maximum damage, which may have resulted from the buyer’s activities.